Home
TTC
Contributor

CATIA V5 Configuration Requirement in R24

Hello,

The release notes for R24 say following about CATIAV5:

Quote:

"Reading and writing of CATIA V5 files is enabled only by launching a separate executable from the <InstallationPath>/lib3dx/code/bin directory. To allow for proper usage of the CATIA V5 libraries, applications must not have the <InstallationPath>/lib3dx/code/bin directory in their path."

Can someone please provide an example how this is to be done?

Thanks a lot!

TTC
Contributor

Re: CATIA V5 Configuration Requirement in R24

Which executable is meant, the setcatenv or any other?

Visitor

Wtf?

If this is true it's a huge problem and a serious regression!

Not that CATIA V5 conversion has been easy to set up before, mind you...

TTC
Contributor

Weiman wrote:

Wtf?

If this is true it's a huge problem and a serious regression!

Not that CATIA V5 conversion has been easy to set up before, mind you...

Dear Weiman,

indeed...

We have contacted Spatial-support and they said following:

Regarding your question: Which executable is meant: Setcatenv, Catstart or any other?

Answer- The executable such as options.exe, simple.exe etc. Please refer to following document for a sample translation:

http://doc.spatial.com/index.php/InterOp:Connect/Using_Options

As far as I can comprehend Spatial prerequisites all InterOp users converting CATIAV5 Models,

to put their translation-executable into the <InstallationPath>/lib3dx/%CATARCH%code/bin folder (where CATARCH can be intel_a or win_b64).

This was not clear to me at first sight, reading the ReleasNotes for InterOp R24 (in addition, the description of their new folder structure under "Packaging Changes" seems faulty too...)

Although I did try running my executable in the folder mentioned above, I am still having trouble converting any CATIAV5-model.

I will post the solution here, if I have found what caused my trouble...

TTC
Contributor

the error disappears if visual studio is started as an administrator, using (shift+) right mouseclick on the visual studio icon and "Run as Administrator". Hopefully, Spatial is going provide a hotfix for this issue... In spite of what the InterOp release notes tell us about putting your exe in the lib3dx\intel_a\code\bin folder, CATIAV5 translation worked fine in my local C:\Temp folder... (might it be that it only works, because I have no other CATIA-products/versions installed?).
Spatial Employee

Hello,

The first line in the quote simply means InterOp while reading and writing of CATIA V5 files uses a separate executable from the <Installations>/lib3dx/code/bin. 

End users has little to deal with this statement. So please ignore it.

Secondly, the importent things for InterOp R24 end users from packaging changes and CATIA V5 Configuration Requirement perspective are listed below;

• Customers are no longer required to set the CATDefaultEnvironment environment variable and/or run setcatenv\chcatenv
  • Applications must not have the <InstallationPath>/lib3dx/<CAT_ARCH>/code/bin in the path environment variable (User Variables and System Variables).

Note: For customers doing batch file conversions on a single core machine, we recommend that you do translations one at a time.

• Beginning with R24, all products have the packaging structure illustrated below and the folder structure\contents inside lib3dx folder must not be changed\modified. In general the folder structure\contents inside <InstallationPath> of InterOp should not be disturbed in case one is using multiple products of InterOp (say for example TRANS + DIRECT etc.).
  • <InstallationPath>
     |
     |-include                       
     |
     |-ARCH (ARCH can be NT_VC*)
     |  |
     |  |-code
     |      |-bin                   
     |      |-lib
     |                           
     |-redist
     |
     |-lib3dx (available only with InterOp CATIA V5 products)
     |  |
     |  |-CAT_ARCH (CAT_ARCH can be either win_b64 or intel_a)
     |        |-code
     |        |  |-bin
     |        |  |-dictionary
     |        |  |-productIC
     |        |
     |        |-reffiles
     |        |-resources
     |
     |-samples
  •  Note: To utilize the InterOp libraries, the directory <InstallationPath>/ARCH/code/bin must be present in the application path to allow the InterOp DLLs to be loaded.
Spatial Employee

Hello,

As explained the statement should be ignored. Begining R24 setcatenv or chcatenv commands and set CATDefaultEnvironment are no more needed.

Spatial Employee

Hello,

Regarding your comment "to put their translation-executable into the <InstallationPath>/lib3dx/%CATARCH%code/bin folder (where CATARCH can be intel_a or win_b64)." is not valid.

As we explained, this path should not be present in the PATH environment variable (User Variables and System Variables).

Also the translation-executable should not be kept in this path. Please keep it in <InstallationPath>.

Regarding the trouble you are facing, please share the log of the translation, the InterOp package used\installed at <InstallationPath>, the samples\solutions if modified in the R24 <InstallationPath>\samples.

Thanks,

With Best Regards,

Amol

Spatial Employee

Hello,

The error disappears if visual studio is started as an administrator is known issue and will be fixed in the coming InterOp R24 HF.

As explained before lib3dx folder structure should not be distrubed or modified.

Thanks,

With Best Regards,

Amol

TTC
Contributor

Hi Amol,

The issue has been solved after I installed the R24 hotfix verison form 2013.08.02- Thank you for your explanation.

Though, there is still one thing that I do not understand: How is the following line to be interpreted?

Note: To utilize the InterOp libraries, the directory <InstallationPath>/ARCH/code/bin must be present in the application path to allow the InterOp DLLs to be loaded.

"in the application" Does this apply only for the a developers environment or also to every deployed instance of our application?

Background: I am still having trouble reading CATIAV5 on a test pc, where I have deployed our software with R24 integrated.

Thanks.

Best regards,

TTC