Home
Regular Contributor

Error MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE while performing Union

Hello,

When using api_unite(), it often fails with :

Error message: Two or more vertices of one body mapped to a single entity of other body
Error identity: MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE
Error severity: FATAL

Problem with Tol Edge: tolerance 0.000005, edge length: 0.011014
Problem with Tol Vertex: tolerance 0.000010

Problem encountered: Huge tolerant entities found in the vicinity

Any ideas what geometry/topology problem it is?

From description it looks like a large Tol Vertex is being mapped into small edge or something like this. But entities reported look fine: the tolerance of tvertex is much smaller than the edge length.

I tried to heal the bodies involved, but the result is still the same. What can I try for this type of error? Any hints are appreciated.

Thank you!

Spatial Employee

Re: Error MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE while performing Union

Hi,

I see your concern.

As the complexity message says there is some entity tolerance that influences the situation. For example, there could be a big tolerance in one body that engulfs almost an entire edge of another body. If you think the input bodies are good enough for Booleans to succeed then it may be a Boolean defect that needs to be addressed. 

Moreover, your observation of api_unite often fails is something I would worry. Do you have access to Spatial Support? It would be better if we have a representative case to understand the problem better. I also want to let you know that we are in process of shipping an enhancement in the upcoming release R2017 1.0, which is called "Incremental Boolean Workflow". This functionality helps users to recover from such situations and make Booleans succeed.

Please feel free to share more details or questions if that would help.

Thanks.

Sri

Regular Contributor

Re: Error MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE while performing Union

Thank you!

My understanding is that you described the common case for MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE to appear: "could be a big tolerance in one body that engulfs almost an entire edge of another body". We are looking exactly for geometrical understanding like that. Are there any other possible reasons for the error MANY_VERTEX_TO_ONE?

You are right, we are going to contact the Support to get better understanding.

Regards,

yt