Home
Visitor

Merge two faces into one face in a single body?

i.e. there are two adjcent faces in a body, how to merge these two faces into one face? is there any api function to do this work? Any reply will be appreciate!
Regular Contributor

Re: Merge two faces into one face in a single body?

You can try api_merge_faces.

Visitor

I really appreciate for your reply. Maybe I didn't discribe it in a right way, what I mean is to merge two specified faces into one face, not specified geometry type. i.e. we split a face into two faces, then how can we merge the two face back to the original face? Thank you!
Spatial Moderator

api_merge_faces merges away the topological EDGE to combine two FACEs that share the same underlying geometry.  If you used ACIS to split a face, merge should be able to reverse that operation.

If the two FACEs have different SURFACEs, there is no API to create a new geometry which represents both faces with the same continuity at all the edges, etc.  you could try a covering operation, or Advanced Covering if you have ACIS Deformable Modeling, to make a new surface to cover multiple existing surfaces.

If that doesn't answer your question, perhaps you can post a graphic to help explain what you mean.

Ray

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

In case "split a face into two faces, then how can we merge the two faces back" api_clean_entity works for me. It's interesting to note that api_merge_faces did not do anything for the same example.