Home
rln
Contributor

SAT file format description

Hello !

Working on CAD Exchanger (http://www.cadexchanger.com) I would like to evaluate feasibility of developing an ACIS importer and exporter. Is the SAT format openly documented so that I could follow its specfication ? There are some documents available online describing the format but they seem incomplete and/or outdated.

So a reference from the ACIS professional users would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Roman

Spatial Moderator

Re: SAT file format description

Hi Roman,

We do not publish the SAT format specification.  We make it very economical to license 3D ACIS Exchange (an SAT/SAB read/write toolkit) and strongly encourage folks to use that rather than trying to write their own tool.  We have had many problems with corrupt data being created by applications that write SAT directly without the toolkit.

Best regards,

Ray Bagley

rln
Contributor

Hello Ray,

Thank you for a prompt reply and explanation. I see your point in encouraging use of your licensed component. By the way does it require licensing an ACIS kernel itself and  implies any run-time fees/royalties ? Or is it rather a licensing a component with its API that enables just read/write and access to the data structure ? My need is very limited - to only access file contents - either directly (via a parser) or via some API. Royalties would be a blocking condition :-(.

I would appreciate if you could clarify this.

From initial prototyping based on available information, the file structure and entity contents seem to be well structured. The main problem I encountered and anticipate for a parser is that each new version of a format adds contents *inside* the existing record. This makes parser based on older version fail to read new files (as it considers next data part to belong to a further ENTITY subclass while it may belong to extended set of data for a given class). More robust approach would be to add new data as additional data which older-version-tailored parsers would safely ignor.

Roman

Spatial Moderator

I will put you in touch with an account manager who can discuss the issues with you fully.  In brief, 3D ACIS Exchange is licensed as a flat fee for unlimited usage and distribution within a single application.  It is API-based, not just a parser. 

Ray