Home
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Tolerant 1-sided edge?

Hello,

1. Is it true that 1-sided edge can be tolerant? Say, we had a tolerant 2-sided edge, then one of the adjacent faces was deleted or unhooked - the edge becomes one-sided tolerant edge.

If the answer to the question 1 is yes, the the second question is:

2. What's the good practice - does it make sense to have a 1-sided tolerant edge, or it is better to "detolerize" it (for stability of downstream operations) ?

Thank you!

Spatial Employee

Re: Tolerant 1-sided edge?

hi

Tolerant 1-sided edges are possible.  In the case you mentioned (unhooking one face incident to a TEDGE) and in some other cases.  The TEDGE tolerance is defined by the gap between the 3D curve under the EDGE and the PCURVE.  If you construct a face where some of the boundary edges do not lie within SPAresabs of the surface, it will be a TEDGE.  I don't think you need to modify TEDGEs manually though, with one exception.  If you have a edge where the incident faces intersect sharply, api_lop_tigthen_gaps can be used to create a new edge geometry by intersecting the neighboring surfaces.  In principal, sharp edges shouldn't need to be TEDGEs, because ACIS can intersect the surfaces for you.

cheers

Eric

Regular Contributor

Thank you!

Did you mean api_tweak_tighten_edge for sharp edges?

Highlighted
Spatial Employee

Yes.  My memory slipped a bit there.  I remembered the name of the scheme command rather than the API, but you figured out what I meant to say.