Home
Regular Contributor

eliminating superfluous vertices

Is there a way to eliminate superfluous vertices?  I've recently come across two models (don't know the origins) from different customers that have many edges/vertices around circular curves.  A hole for example, will typically have two vertices at the top with two circular edges on each side of the opening.  In this case, those two edges have been broken up into many shorter circular edges...  There are still two cylindrical surfaces modelling the hole just more that four vertices.

Mike

Highlighted
Spatial Employee

Re: eliminating superfluous vertices

Hi Mike

You might want to try api_clean_entity (c.f., http://doc.spatial.com/qref/ACIS/html/group__BOOLADVMERGE.html#g86f182c6d800fe1f0c81cbadbeb41c18).  It tries to merge out unnecessary edges and vertices.  An edge is necessary if it connects different surface geometry.  Likewise, a VERTEX is necessary if it connects different edge geometry.  The comparisions between geometry is done by pointer comparison rather than geometric coincidence.  You can prevent it cleaning away topology by putting a no merge attribute onto the relevant topology, I think.

best regards

Eric Zenk

Regular Contributor

Re: eliminating superfluous vertices

That works well. Thanks, Eric. I wasn't aware of the clean and merge APIs.

Mike